What is successful leadership in an organization? What many years of international trade and business have teached us is that management, or real leadership, is more important than anything else when trying to master the Uncertainty in your business and inside your organization.
You just don’t know what’s in store for you tomorrow or in the near future. You learn more how you and others act and react to events that were out of your control as you become more experienced as a Manager or Business Leader.
What we all try to do in business is to try to make a plan, but be ready to revise it every day, and try to build a team of business people that are as good as possible doing just that, do business! Success is more about our ability to react to events and people then follow a certain plan.
What you need as a Business Leader is people that you trust but also people have real applied knowledge and business focus. If you focus on building business skills, not product skill alone you can handle what ever happen to you and your company.
- Perhaps today you are manufacturing cars but tomorrow heat pumps, or kitchen appliances?
- Perhaps you sold own telecom solutions to large carriers before but now you are a consultant only?
- Perhaps you were a production facility but tomorrow an installation and after service provider?
The important part is not what you are and where you are going but how you prepare and approach the problem as you face them, and you will most likely face many problems during your career.
Some of the questions we will ask you when looking at your business;
- Who are your customers?
- What do they want?
- What knowledge assets would allow you to develop a new core competency that has higher value added for your customers?
- What investment in knowledge assets can you make to move you in the right direction?
- How do you organize to allow anyone in your organization to contribute?
- How do you build teams or communities of people separated by time and space who trust each other enough to work effectively together?
- How do you get everyone in your organization to be engaged with the customer?
- How will the HR Department support the required shift in culture?
- How does HR Department work with searching and recruiting new talent (the right staff/people) every week and every month?
- Does your organization have the right mix of skills to be successful?
- How can you get Top Management to understand, support, be mentors to new behaviours that are necessary for your success?
They key issue here it is more about working with people. Be genuine interested in them and your joint efforts. Too many Directors and Business Leader are actually not that interested in people, not even their own people. We call this focusing on Individual Capital inside your Company, not Human Capital as many like to define it. What we mean that good Individual Capital will lead to Human, Structure and Financial Capital but it will also prepare you to master the uncertainty for life and business better.
As we work with these issues every day we are happy to help you review and improve your Management and Communication skill inside and outside your Company. Lets us help you to master the Uncertainty of building a business, contact us by email